DOT HM-181 Basic Hazmat Employee
|TIME TO COMPLETE:
||Approximately 4 hours
||0.4 CEUs, 4 contact hours
|COURSE ACTIVE FOR:
||49 CFR, Part 172.704 (Subpart H)
||Our basic general purpose DOT course. Includes a module with general awareness training regarding hazardous materials safety and security as required by HM-232.
Do you operate a vehicle that transports hazardous materials?
Do you work in a shipping/receiving department that ships or receives hazardous materials?
WHO SHOULD TAKE THIS CLASS?
Do you have a job that puts you in contact with hazardous materials that are transported in any way? The United States Department of Transportation (DOT) has established a series of regulations governing training programs for what are termed Hazmat Employees. Basic DOT Hazmat training is often referred to as HM-181 or HM-126 training. Employees in need of Basic DOT Hazmat training could be anyone who meets any of the following criteria:
- A person who offers a hazardous material for transportation
- A person who is involved in the transportation of a hazardous material
- A person who labels or marks packages that are being transported
This simple to take program will help you to understand your role and set up further training programs should they also be required. It is presented in an easy to understand format and is filled with activities. A certificate documenting compliance with the DOT Hazardous Material training requirement is presented upon completion. This course will also fulfill your tri-annual DOT Hazmat refresher requirement.
“The course was convenient and readily available.” – Glasgow, KY
Do you ship automotive supplies (airbags or seatbelt pretensioners)? You may need our course #1200.
Do you select the specific types of packaging for the products you ship? Then you need our course #1205.
The structure and objectives of this online DOT Hazmat course are centered on the requirements outlined in the DOT Hazmat regulation. Each unit is based on one or more of the following requirements. Upon completion of this program, the participants will have completed the following:
- Met the requirements of 49 CFR, Part 172.704 for certification in hazardous materials handling and transportation.
- Reviewed the requirements of the DOT regulations relative to the transportation of hazardous materials.
- Reviewed the basic safety elements including recognition and identification of hazardous materials as required by the DOT regulations and the Hazard Communication Standard.
- Reviewed the basic operations required for handling emergencies involving hazardous materials for the DOT Hazmat Employee.
- Demonstrated some basic functions required for a DOT Hazmat Employee including basic knowledge of the Hazardous Materials Table (49 CFR 172.101), Labels and Placards, and Shipping Papers.
- Reviewed the nine DOT hazard classes and associated them with the appropriate placards for use in transportation.
- An awareness of security risks associated with hazardous materials transportation (HM-232).
- An awareness of methods designed to enhance transportation security.
- An awareness of how to recognize and respond to possible security threats.
Students will have to go through all modules in order to unlock the final exam at the end of the course. You will need a computer or iPad with Internet access and an email account. No text is required; all course materials are available online. The course will take approximately 4 hours to complete but you can come and go as you need.
Passing this course requires completing the multiple choice or true/false exam with a grade of 75% or better. If you do not receive a grade of at least 75% on the final quiz, you may retake the quiz up to a total of three (3) times.
COURSE SCHEDULE AND DEADLINES
The course is designed to be self-paced. You will have 30 days to complete it and can come and go as you need. After one month, you will need to re-enroll. Upon successful completion of the course you will receive a pdf certificate right away.